[Healeys] speedometer cable routing

rkeysor rkeysor at bellsouth.net
Wed May 28 08:22:06 MDT 2014

I found the cable on my BN7 trapped between the tranny housing and the sheet
metal piece that fits above the front end of the gear box.  Replacing the
cable and housing thus required pulling out the seats and carpeting (etc) to
loosen those parts and free the cable. When I reinstalled the new cable, I
drilled a hole in the tranny housing at about 11 p.m. (facing the front of the
car) and ran the new cable through that hole, under the carpeting and up to
the speedometer.  I used a foam rubber piece to protect the cable where it
passed through the tranny housing.  I can now remove/replace the cable by
simply detaching it at the speedo and pulling it back through the hole from
underneath.  I am not concerned with any originality or concours issues, as
this car has a "Smitty" Toyota   5-speed box.  The original AH box along with
the overdrive gathers dust on a shelf in the garage. RIP

On Wednesday, May