[Healeys] K&n. Air filters

Randy Hicks Healey100M at gmail.com
Fri May 23 08:38:30 MDT 2014

Agree with Bob. I have K&N's on my BJ8. There is just better than an inch
clearance of the shroud on the front carb. Rear more.

Many versions of the K&N, but mine are the tapered #56-9327 from Summit
Racing. You also need the crankcase vent filter too.

Charlie Hart made an adapter and it is remarkable how much better the engine
breaths. Noticeable difference. Strongly recommend the switch.

Randy

On May 23, 2014, at 10:25 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:

> I'll take a stab.
>
> re: "How much does the engine move up and down when running?"
>
> Depends on the condition of your motor mounts (have known bad ones on other
cars to allow 'bottoming' of the engine over bumps). Normally, engine movement
is side-to-side due to torque.  I'd want at least an inch between the filters
and the shroud (either on the side or above).  Also make sure your
transmission/OD tie rod bushes are in good nick.

> FWIW, I have K&Ns with a custom front filter that is mounted down from
normal (the holes are offset above center).  David Anton of APT did this for
me; I was trying to get him to produce these but his wife was injured in a car
accident and that derailed the project.  Maybe if enough people contact him
he'd give it a go.

> Bob
>
> On 5/23/2014 5:46 AM, Mitch wrote:
>> I am fitting the k&n filters part#56-9247 to my 1966 bj8     It appears I
can mount them offset ....but not much clearence.   I know that some people
modify them so the carbs recess into them....why?  How much does the engine
move up and down when running?   Any help would be appreciated as these are
being mounted today!!! I want to drive!!