[Healeys] Healey with a Toyota five speed

tom mitchell 3000mk3 at bighealey.org
Sun May 11 21:06:38 MDT 2014

Hi,
Back in 2004 I installed a Toyota five speed using the original Smitty kit.
It' been great addition to the car as my wife and children can drive it,
besides my old transmission was toast.

It was a beautiful day so we went for the first ride of the year, only to
discover that the clutch was slipping (20,000 miles).

Supposedly my transmission came out of a 1991 Toyota 4 cyl two wheel drive
pickup yet I have no way to verify that.

I've read somewhere that the newer Smitty kits supplied Pete D. use a
heavier clutch friction plate, does anyone know the part number? When I
reviewed the directions (from a friend who just installed the kit) the part
numbers for the friction plate is blackout out (yet only those parts). I
looked online and didn't find anything. I'll call Pete tomorrow and maybe
he'll tell me. Yes I know I'm being impatient, so much work and now so
little time.

Thanks

Tom Mitchell
1965 Austin Healey BJ8 MKIII

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John
Lennon