[Healeys] Seasons 1st Driver

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 13:49:23 MDT 2014

The driver's door window vanished on me once when I got in the car to go
home from work.  It's hard to find a sheet metal screw that is short enough
not to scratch the glass, but long enough to have enough threads not to pull
out of the door.  Grinding the tips off of sheet metal screws can make them
difficult to screw into the hole again.  Once the screw pulls out and the
hole is enlarged, it's even harder to find a suitable screw.

I fixed this problem when I had the door panel off to replace the scratched
glass.  I welded square machine screw nuts into the door (filed the enlarged
screw holes to accommodate the nut) and then used a fine-thread machine
screw with a flat end in each hole for the door pulls.  The screws aren't
long enough to touch the glass, but the pulls feel much more secure than
they did with the previous screws.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry