[Healeys] Off the Gauge

Bluehealey bluehealey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:34:11 MDT 2014

Patrick.
I know you are not completely averse to modifications where the benefits
warrant it so you might consider my approach to the gearbox tie rod function.
The tie rod reacts to the full weight of the engine and box attempting to
disappear through the rad' as the chassis slows under braking. The forces can
be quite extreme especially if speeds are high and braking is hard.  The
forces are taken by the rear of the overdrive and tend to open the mating
faces leading to oil leaks. Hardy Engineering (Leatherhead) here in the UK
report difficulties sealing that joint due to distortion. Oil leaks running
back along the transmission, from wherever they might spring, also serve to
soften and destroy the rubber bushes that everything is hanging from.

I decided to approach the restraining function from the other direction and
introduced compression struts running from the bell housing to the engine
mount towers. These double the number of buffers in play and eliminate the
strain on the overdrive joints/flanges. The installation is discrete and can
easily be reversed back to standard if needs must.

Pictures speak a thousand so check out the slides at
http://bluehealey.com/Gallery/Compression Struts

(Flame suit ready)

Alan - from my iPad