[Healeys] Why carry spares

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 08:02:29 MDT 2014

I agree that replacing a fuel pump at the side of a road is not fun for so
many reasons. Rain, heat, cold, traffic, safety, dirt, time. My preference is
to install two SU pumps. Plumbed & wired in parallel so the either or both can
be energized. This gives 100% redundancy. I run only one at a time, but
alternate between the two pumps so that I know that they are both working. I
prefer the electronic SU. I like to keep things original when
possible/practical. I like to hear the clicking when the switch is turned on,
then hear it stop after a few seconds. One time it did not stop, which warned
me that something was amiss. It turned out that one of the carb float valves
was leaking. If I had a pump that ran continuously I would have not known & I
would have been pumping fuel out the overflow as I drove down the road. Non SU
pumps will require different types of inlet & outlet fittings. The double
ended SU is a good alternative. If I recall how they operate, there is
redundancy except for the check valves in the main body of the pump.
Gary Hodson

From: Mitch <dayton21 at comcast.net>

Ok fellas,

I have a new SU electronic fuel pump that I bought last year for my BJ8....to
keep as a spare. I also bought a new one for my BN4 project about 6 years ago
(still sitting on the shelf.

You're saying they might not operate when the time comes that I need them?
......I will probably be on the side of the freeway in the rain....you have
be kidding me.

So what is the absolute BEST,RELIABLE fuel pump set-up for my cars........? I
cannot even imagine going to the hassle of removing and replacing the SU FUEL
PUMP on the side of the road.............and then not work!

Mitchell