[Healeys] Off the Gauge

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 17 01:39:33 MDT 2014

G'day

Yesterday while out in our newly acquired BJ8 the radiator developed a leak
which in turn allowed the water temp needle to reach previously unheard of
heights.

Unfortunately I was 50K from home, but after waiting for it to cool it
started and ran perfectly happily. I managed to find a number of discarded
drink bottles in the lay-by and eventually limped home. Later I removed the
radiator which I must admit was a piece of cake after dealing with the
radiator from the BN3. So what caused the never previously seen before hole
in the radiator?

The car is fitted with one of those 5 bladed plastic fans, but one of the
four bolts holding it in place was three-quarters undone, one was just
finger tight and the other two not much more.

Methinks that while I was enjoying myself going through the gears the fan
wobbled and flexed so much that a blade hit the tubes and decapitated two of
them.

Any comments would be appreciated please.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia