[Healeys] Aluminum Brake & Clutch Cylinders

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 08:28:20 MST 2014

Steve,
If the original cylinders were anodized, why would you replace it with a new
one that is not anodized? I am not personally convinced that they were
originally anodized. Most to the feed back so far is that they were not
anodized, but I am keeping an open mind on this. Many original cylinders only
need a good cleaning of the bore to return them to years of service. If they
are badly pitted then perhaps re-sleeving is a good option.

Gary

From: Steve B. Gerow <steveg at abrazosdata.com>

My feeling is: the cylinders are inexpensive, yet difficult to remove,
therefore
honing is not advisable.

If you go to all the trouble of removing it, why would you want to experiment
with honing the anodizing out, then reinstalling it, then maybe having to
replace it with a new cylinder in a year or so.

There are plenty of auto shop manuals & shop class texts online which discuss
the anodizing -- I don't think it's apocryphal.

--
Steve Gerow