[Healeys] Aluminum Brake & Clutch Cylinders

e-wilkins e-wilkins at cox.net
Wed Mar 5 21:28:40 MST 2014

And we can all speculate about how they are coated or not.

>From Girling (the horse's mouth):

"All Girling Wheel Cylinders are supplied with Chrome 6 free coating which
means they are already in line with EU directive EU 2000/53/EG"

could be classified as anodizing being that it is a chemical conversion
coating that is a molecular/electroplate type of coating.

On Mar 5, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Steve B. Gerow wrote:

> My feeling is: the cylinders are inexpensive, yet difficult to remove,
therefore honing is not advisable.

> If you go to all the trouble of removing it, why would you want to
experiment with honing the anodizing out, then reinstalling it, then maybe
having to replace it with a new cylinder in a year or so.

> There are plenty of auto shop manuals & shop class texts online which
discuss the anodizing -- I don't think it's apocryphal.