[Healeys] what year

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 06:50:10 MDT 2014

Niels, cars that were dispatched to California from the factory got those
tags because California required the identification of the manufacturer and
the "year of manufacture" to be provided somewhere on the vehicle.  Since
the VIN did not have a code for such information, the tags were added.  I do
not know for sure, but I believe the tags were put on the cars after they
arrived in California and not at the factory.   The factory did not
recognize "model year" because the cars were not built that way.
Your car got the BMC-67 tag because it would have been considered a 1967 car
by California, having arrived in the USA after the beginning of the "new
model year" of 1967 in September 1966.

California also had a custom of adding the two-digit "model year" to the
front of the factory VIN on paperwork such as titles, e.g. 67HBJ8L38231.
This has caused problems for later owners who moved a car titled in
California to another state or country and encountered resistance from the
authorities in registering the car because the paperwork did not match the
VIN plate exactly.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry