[Healeys] Hinge pillar issue on BT7

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 16 08:43:47 MDT 2014

Richard - for what it's worth:

I had a similar problem with the passenger side of my BJ8 when it was
restored.  There had been hastily repaired previous accident damage way
before I owned the car, and things weren't in good alignment.  The shop
removed the hinge pillar from the car and re-installed it where it needed to
be in order to align the door / fender with the rest of the body structure
while maintaining the swage line perfectly.  The hinge pillar had no
deterioration at all - the only thing that was replaced in the area was the
outer sill - the rest is all original with minor patching done to the inner
and intermediate sill pieces.  Floorboards, frame outriggers are as
original.

At the time, I wouldn't have thought it the best way to do it, but the body
guys said it was the best way to preserve the original panel alignment.  It
worked well.

Sounds like it might be the way for you to go, as long as you're sure that
everything else is correct aligned - shut pillar, rear fender to rear
shroud, et.

Good luck with it.  Let us know how you finally resolve it.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb