[Healeys] BN2 overdrive problem from Mike Lewis

MIKE LEWIS harborislander at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 11:33:11 MDT 2014

Here is the problem I have been having with the overdrive on my 56 BN2.
Overdrive was rebuilt by Healey Surgeons a few months ago and have been
trouble shooting the following.  OD works beautifully when starting out for
maybe 20 - 30 minutes but once everything fully warmed up, will not engage or
simply disenages. Have checked all electrical and now the operating pressure.
Has smaller accumulator spring and added a couple of shims/washers and got
pressure up to 450 pounds but still would fall out when everything hot.
Thought it a good idea to try a new, stiffer accumulator spring so bought a
new one from Moss who sources theirs from AH Spares.  Two added washers
brought pressure up and beyond 600 pounds so went back to no washers and
pressure was around 490+ pounds.  Problem continued so added one washer and
pressure now at 550 pounds.  Thought I had it solved but when things really
heated up on a hot day Saturday, worked for about 35 minutes and then same
problem, stops engaging. Know 550 is on high size for the OD but works
flawlessly when cold, smooth engagements, not jerky and smooth disengagements
when manually switched off with toggle.  The idea of adding shims to a A type
OD has been thoroughly researched and documented by Buckeye Triumphs so
thought this would solve things.  I am out of ideas and other than driving the
Healey up to Maryland to have Bruce Phillips look at it or heaven forbid,
taking the OD out and shipping up to Bruce, I'm stumped along with some others
who have been trying to help me.  HELP !
Thanks,
Mike Lewis