[Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Jul 6 02:10:08 MDT 2014

The amount of ether in the bulb is not very critical. Any fluid has a
specified vapour pressure at a specified temperature. This is what the
gauge registers, it is a manometer that translates pressure to
temperature on the scale.
As vapour pressure is independent from volume the amount of fluid does
not matter, as long as the bulb and capillary is not completely filled
up with fluid or if there is no fluid but just vapour.
Apparently there are several sorts of ether I was told by a chemist. He
supplied me with some that is normally used in automotive gauges which I
used for repairing a gauge.
Kees Oudesluijs