[Healeys] 48-spoke wheel width

Peter Svilans peter.svilans at rogers.com
Mon Jan 27 16:12:39 MST 2014

Wow !  5.5" is the width of a 72-spoker, but only 48 spokes ?  I remember
watching the Philipses throwing "Goldie" around a gymkhana course, and from my
vantage point at one hairpin actually heard the hardened plated 48 spoke
wheels pinging as the spokes broke.  On mentioning this, he replied "We know.
Its no big deal. We have a basket full of spare gold-plated spokes."

Somewhere there's a 1960 listing of Healey competition wire wheels available
to special order.  They were 54-spoke, steel hub and spokes, but MAGNESIUM
rims. For the whopping price of $ 25 per wheel.

Best
Peter