[Healeys] BN7 Coil connections

rkeysor rkeysor at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 25 17:43:15 MST 2014

I just completed painting my '60 BN7 engine in situ, meaning I had to do a
certain amount of dismantlement.  This is a negative ground car with a
Pertronex (sic) ignition. I made a sketch of the coil connections, but didn't
note how the coil poles were positioned relative to positive/negative.  After
removing the coil from the bracket atop the generator and later replacing it,
 I realized that it was possibly rotated making my sketch backward.  So now
I'm note sure how the wires reconnected.  I believe the red distributor wire
goes to the positive coil pole, the black/white to the negative. My notes
indicate a third wire that emerges from a bundle  along with the yellow/green
generator wire  also connects to the positive side of the coil, or so I
believe. A responder on another Healey site said the black/white wire went to
the positive coil pole in a negative ground car, which gave me pause.  I'm
aware it's possible to blow out the Pertronix if
 it's incorrectly connected. Help!