[Healeys] O/D slipping - update

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 16:02:52 MST 2014

Hello, Healeyphiles -

A few weeks ago I reported a slipping in my overdrive.   Conventional list
wisdom said it was probably low oil pressure, although the overdrive was
engaging immediately when I flipped the switch and seemed to slip only when
I accelerated more than gently in third gear.  I suspected the sliding
clutch linings were worn out.

I bought a pressure gauge from Jay Holekamp and today was a nice enough day
that I could take the car out for a test drive (top down, of course, here in
the Southland, but I'm not gloating).  The results:

I'm getting a maximum of 365 psi.   If I have O/D selected, when I go
through 3rd gear the pressure drops immediately to about 100 psi, I hear the
'whizzing" sound,  and then the pressure comes back up to 365 as the O/D
engages.  Once engaged, it does not slip.

When I got home, I drained the oil and began the process of pulling the
gearbox and O/D out of the car.  Magnus Karlsson recommends that I plan on
replacing those components controlling oil pressure, so I guess I will do
that whether or not I need a new sliding clutch, too.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

Havelock, NC