[Healeys] best freeze plug material

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Sat Jan 18 23:15:01 MST 2014

For your freeze plugs to corrode so badly in such a short time something odd
has to be going on either with the chemistry of the coolant or maybe an
electrolytic imbalance of some kind. I wonder if the engine is properly
grounded.

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:19:07 +0100
> From: coudesluijs at chello.nl
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] best freeze plug material
>
> Do not use brass freeze plugs (do they exist at all??) because of
> electrolytic corrosion (iron/brass). Use steel ones as original. These
> will also have a tighter fit as steel is stronger and will clamp better
> when tapped home. If the hole is not corroded you may not need sealant,
> although it will not hurt to apply a thin smear. Any automotive good
> quality, non-silicon sealant will do. Make sure the rust and dirt is
> thoroughly removed from the holes before fitting the plugs.
> Engine coolant should be replaced periodically to prevent deterioration
> and subsequent loss of anti freeze and anti corrosion properties. Never
> use pure water but proper coolant (green, NOT purple/red) or a minimum
> of 50% anti-freeze/50% distilled water. You can use expensive Evans
> waterless coolant but you would need to change the thermostat for one
> with a high opening temperature (e.g. 860C) to get sufficient cooling
> and an even coolant temperature. In my opinion it is a waste of money.
>
> In all my life I have never seen freeze plugs failing/rusting after only
> 7 years, even on 60+ year running engines I have never even seen a
> rusted out/failed freeze plug for that matter.
> You only see that on a scrap yard or with engines that are filled up
> with water instead of proper coolant.
>
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL
>

> goldengt at cal.net schreef op 17-1-2014 21:40:
> > I have to replace all of my freeze plugs (steel) after only 7 years.
Either I had bad antifreeze or bad plugs or forgot to change the antifreeze.
It has very little color now.