[Healeys] Start up after rebuild

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 19:41:53 MST 2014

Here's some tricks.
Rotate the engine until the rotor is approaching the #1 plug lead terminal
on the distributor cap. (in the process making sure that the rotor is
actually turning)
Remove #1 plug and with a piece of heater hose see if you can blow air into
the spark plug hole. (If you can't then  the ignition timing is not 180
degrees out.)
On the same up stroke check that the timing mark is just before TDC when
the points open. (Easily checked with a 12 volt test light between ground
and the distributor LT terminal.  With the ignition on the light comes on
when the points open.).
Again when that occurs the rotor should be pointing at #1 cylinder on the
distributor cap.
With the engine still on that #1 cylinder position check that the 2 valve
rockers for #6 cylinder are both partially depressed. i.e both valves for
#6 cylinder are both open a little. (If they are then the valve timing is
pretty close.)
Drain the radiator and fill it with really hot water.
Cross fingers...Start engine...

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
All wisdom is plagiarism; only stupidity is original.