[Healeys] BN4 overdrive re-assembly

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 14:00:45 MST 2014

Besides wiring the O/D pump out of the way, make sure the splines in the
bottom of the O/D line up perfectly.  You can't turn the first set of
splines, so you have to reach through the first set to reach those for the
one-way clutch, which will only turn in one direction.  I never was able to
use successfully the "long screwdriver" technique mentioned in the shop
manual so I made a special tool that out of sheet metal and a stick that
would span the diameter of the splines.  That worked pretty well.  By
sliding the tool in and out in the splines, I can feel when they are lined
up correctly.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry