[Healeys] Do we like brake boosters?

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 17:34:31 MST 2014

The brake booster does improve the feel, especially some of the current
aftermarket boosters which have a little less boost than the original
piston in can unit.

I think it also provides a bit more safety in that the BJ8 master has more
travel before bottoming out, so if you have to pump the brakes for whatever
reason you have a bit more fluid/pedal to work with with the BJ8 master.

I always liked the piston in can unit, but I really wasn't able to ever get
mine to last very long so I went to a PBR unit, which has been trust worthy
for about 20 years so far.  I have one of the modern replacement Lockheed
units on my Jag Mk IX and that works well also.

If I recall correctly, it's the PBR VH44 unit I have on my BJ8.  I really
like it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VH44-VACUUM-BOOSTER-BRAND-NEW-HOT-RODS-/221258173566

You can actually cut and flip one of the existing brackets and it mounts up
really easily.

Best,

Alan