[Healeys] Stainless competition valves

Niels Bengaard bengaard at 850r.dk
Wed Dec 10 09:12:44 MST 2014

I had a high end top made many years ago in Sweden for a Volvo 240 Turbo, it
was fitted with stainless Manley severe duty valves with chromed stems.
The valve guides were alu-bronze silicate.

Manley has some good information. They write:

Manley recommends bronze guides for race only applications and cast iron
guides for street use.
Manley chrome stem or nitride valves are compatible with either guide
material. Each Manley silicon aluminum bronze valve guide is precision
machined from a solid bar
of material. This provides proper self-lubrication even at elevated
operating
temperatures. The I.D. is honed and the O.D. is ground to insure tight
control of
concentricity necessary for repeatability and minimum valve seat machining.

Niels