[Healeys] Battery terminal helmet connectors

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sat Aug 23 16:22:09 MDT 2014

I don't know about other cars but in the original wiring harness of a Bugeye
there is a brown wire with a round tapered connector going to the "A"
connection on the voltage regulator.  From there it goes directly to one of
the two 35 amp fuses and then horns.  Just a friction fit.  I have a regular
clamp style battery connector and the brown (hot) wire is just wrapped around
the clamp screw under the nut these days.  When I first restored my Bugeye, I
had the original configuration.  On my first test drive the car got three
blocks and the engine stopped dead.  I looked under the hood and the tapered
connector had fallen out.  I shoved it back in and the car started right back
up.  I have not had that problem since I went to the clamp style connector.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:21 PM, Len and/or
Marge Hartnett <thehartnetts at earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have no idea but
I am going to take a wild guess.  It could be a power
>take off for something
that has nothing to do with Healeys.  Perhaps a test
>instrument or an
optional accessory.  Whatever the device may have been, it
>would have a
solid tapered pin attached to the power cord .  Grounding would
>be
accomplished with an alligator clip, probe, or through the device to the
>chassis.
>
>Just a WAG while I get the Healey ready for tomorrow's Annual Ice
Cream
>Social in Vacaville.
>
>(The Other) Len
>Fairfield, CA, USA
>1967 AH
3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

Salter" <michaelsalter at gmail.com>
Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:40 AM
>Subject: [Healeys] Battery terminal helmet
connectors

>> This list has been way to quiet so I have a question of
those of great
>> wisdom and knowledge..
>> In the BJ7/8 parts book in the
electrical section one can find an
>> illustration showing the original
battery cables.
>> Upon close inspection one will note that here is something
odd about the
>> -ve helmet battery terminal connector. It has a sort of
vertical tube cast
>> into the side of the connector.
>> I have found this to
be the case on all the original Lucas terminals of
>> this type.
>> My Cooper
S has one, my MGBGT has 2 (it has 2 batteries).
>> What is the purpose of that
tube thingee?
>> It is only on the -ve connector, surely if it was designed to
assist in
>> removing a seized connector it would be on both ?
>> It seems
very elaborate to be an identification mark !
>> Curious minds await
suggestions.

http://www.team.net/donate.html

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive