[Healeys] footwells in 57' 100-6

Darin Graber dkgraber85 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 23:11:31 MDT 2014

Hello to the forum -

I have a two-part question today and on this one - pics
would be welcome.  I hope I can explain this so you all understand what I am
babbling about...

    My inner sills are all put together and ready to be
tacked in.  I want to tack these in because I want to mostly finish the
footwells while I have the engine out and have good access to all sides of the
'box - but I don't want to permanently weld in the inner sills until the
engine is back in so I can put the frame under load and account for any sag or
movement.

    PART 1  - I am having trouble figuring out how the bottom,
outside corners are put together on the footwell boxes - how the inner panel
of the door hinge post that welds to the outside of the inner sill works with
the floor pan in that location.  The original corners are gone from corrosion.
 This is where pics might help.

    PART 2  - I don't believe the floor pans
themselves aren't fitting up right.  Up to this point the panels (from AH
Spares) have fit perfectly and look really good.  I know Kilmartins are
supposed to be the best, but these haven't been a problem until now (I don't
think).  The inner sills on the outriggers angle slightly inboard towards the
frame rails from back to front, however the footwell floor pans I got from AH
spares are square so there are gaps that won't close up against the inner sill
and the footwell floor.  By relocating the first 45 degree bend forward 3/4
inch on the inboard side and leaving the the outboard bend location the same,
I get a really good fit.  However this makes for an odd angle in the floor
with potential carpet-fitting issues later (?).  Pics I have seen with
restored frames and bulkheads look like this wasn't the case.  Any insight
would be much appreciate as this is where I am stuck and need to fix before I
 can move on.  Many thanks in advance.

Darin
'57 100-6
BN4L-O-42288