[Healeys] Early 100 Handbrake.

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:40:06 MDT 2014

Many thanks for all the offers of help regarding my handbrake issue.
Magnus was good enough to send some pics of one he had and it looks exactly
like the one that came with #174.
Here is my response to him;

*"That looks exactly like the one that arrived with the car so I guess what
I have is correct.*

*I think I may have figured out what was different on the later cars.*

* To prevent the bent end of the ratchet rod from tearing up the carpet
there is that 1/4 circle indentation pressed into the fixed tunnel section.
My guess is that is that they spaced the ratchet plate out on the later
cars (using those very thick washers) to provide more clearance, which
required using longer screws, making the tube on the ratchet plate longer
which in turn required making the pivot shaft on the lever longer. Does
that sound reasonable? Unfortunately I don't have a later handbrake lever
here to check that.*

*Now I need to find the correct slot head screws..I think I have one but
may have to make the other.*
*Interestingly the lever that came with #174 appears to be nickle rather
than chrome plated."*

Magnus has responded thus:
*"I agree with your thoughts. They all seem reasonable.*
*Actually the lever may have been nickle plated well into the production of
the 3000. I remember a Swede who took part in the English Healey Club's
concours in the early eighties with his 3000 MKII. He got deductions for
his lever being chromed instead of nickle plated. This lost him the
victory. Me and many other Swedes have always believed that it was a trick
in order to keep him from winning. Maybe the English judges were right
after all?"*

It has also occurred to me that that is the reason for that odd foam rubber
seal that is installed between the handbrake lever and the tunnel on later
cars.

Love this list...
Michael S
BN1 #174