[Healeys] Vacuum take-off on Weber manifolds.

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 10:03:32 MDT 2014

I am in the throes of putting 3 Weber 45s on my MkII BT7. This has been a
long process, mainly because I've been away from home and idle when I
returned.

However, I'm near the rolling road stage for the final setup(!!hoho??) and
there are a number of issues to resolve..............

I have a 123Ignition on my car. A nice bit of kit in my opinion. With SUs
there would have a vacuum take-off from one of the 3 inlet manifolds as
fitted to my tricarb. Now, I've had mixed advice as to this. Someone on the
list said that Webers aren't suitable for vacuum take-off for advance and
retard. Simple as that. The supplier said that they'd not had any luck
trying it. BUT the 123's manufacturer implied that it should be done, but
that steps should be taken to avoid flutter(?). He suggested putting a fuel
filter in the vacuum line.

I should appreciate thoughts on this whole area. At the moment I have this
set-up:-

The 3 manifolds are all identically drilled and tapped for  vacuum fittings.
I have joined the 3 manifolds per the balance pipe on the MkII BT7 tricarb.
Into this pipe I have take-offs for the brake servo, per the tricarb's
original SU set-up, and the advance and retard. (I did have another one for
the PCV valve but, when I thought about that, I could see that that was a
silly idea.).

So, what do the Weber gurus think?

Thanks,

Simon