[Healeys] slow idle setting

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 17:54:33 MDT 2014

I'll take a stab.

I've seen two 'definitive' methods for setting idle on HD carbs: one says close the slow run valves and set with
throttle opening screws, the other (more prevalent) method is the 'close the throttles and open the slow run valves 2.5
turns then fiddle' method.  I don't like the idea of the throttle plates closing on the throttle bore, so I set the
throttle screws to just open the plates then set the idle with the slow run valves, checking the balance after every
adjustment.  I think I usually set the throttle screws so that I have to open the valves about 2 turns--I'm at sea
level--so I can open them up a little if need be when at altitude (my normal idle down here is 750-800RPM).  If your
engine doesn't quit when you close the slow run valves either the valves are leaking or the throttle plates are open (or
you have a terrible vacuum leak somewhere).  My BJ8 idles consistent and smooth (well, consistent anyways).

You don't say why you set the timing advanced, but that could have something to do with it.  Also, you shouldn't get
black smoke anywhere along the normal power curve; at least, neither my BJ8 or BN2 blow any black smoke (except with
full-on 'choke').  Check to make sure your  'choke'--SUs don't actually have a choke--activation levers are fully down
(they're notorious for sticking).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net