[Healeys] slow idle setting

Richard Kahn tahoehealey at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:56:01 MDT 2014

I was trying to adjust and balance my HD8s and I cannot figure out the slow
idle.   I am at 6500 ft elevation and the idle is at 800 RPM. When I drive at
lower altitudes the slow idle goes to 1000 to 1200 RPM.  Not a problem as the
BJ8 runs very well. Yesterday, I tried the "cook book" tuning method. When I
close the slow idle screws then open them 2 1/2 turns the idle is high and I
get black smoke. I turned the screws evenly a half turn at a time until the
RPM went down as low as it would go but the best I could get is 800 RPM. The
screws are now only 1/2 turn open. Again it runs fine. What is going on? I am
running the timing a little advanced on purpose. Carbs are balanced and I use
two Colortunes to set the fuel mixture. I will be doing a lot of lower
altitude driving this year and was hoping to get this worked out if I can.