[Healeys] Horn puzzle

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 08:40:57 MDT 2014

I had similar horn problems many years ago on my BJ8. IIRC--again, it's been many years--I drilled the rivets out, cleaned the points and put them back together with pop rivets and they've worked fine since. There is a shop that rebuilds/resells horns, but I'm not at home so don't have the URL.

Bob

Hi John,

I recently had a similar problem with the horn on my BMW R90/6 motorcycle. I
adjusted the screw on the back which controls the pitch, while holding the
horn button down on the handlebar. After slight adjustment (CW and then CCW),
it sounded nice and loud again.

My Healey workshop manual shows that there is an "adjustment screw" on each
Healey horn. It might be worth a try to adjust this screw a small amount
either way, while someone is pressing on the horn button.

Regards, Graham Wilkie.
BJ8 Moruya NSW Australia.

> I have a problem with one horn that works intermittently. I measure
> 12+ volts at the two leads but the horn does not sound off like the
> other one. The horn body does not need to be grounded in order for it to
work.

> Could the problem be the point inside the horn are sticking?
>
> Does anyone know what type of rivet is used to attach the two halves
> together and where to get them?
>
> I think I should rebuild the horns to obtain maximum decibel output.
>
> There are so many rude drivers out there that get in my way when I am
> driving aggressively. I really need to make sure my horns are working
> well. My finger is getting sore. :-)
>
> John
> '62 BT7
mcast.net