[Healeys] SAE 140 Use In Differential To Reduce Noise?

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Fri Apr 4 05:57:57 MDT 2014

Can't answer for the Healey, but I use Val 75W-140 full synthetic (limited slip) in my 66 E-Type.  I switched to it at the recommendation of a diff rebuilder of Jag diffs---well respected.  I can't say iof it changes the sound as this was a "new"----fully rebuilt diff I put in.

tom

---- Graham Wilkie <glwilkie1 at bigpond.com> wrote:

=============
Hello All,

The differential on my 1966 BJ8 starts to whine once I have driven for several
miles, and everything has warmed up to normal operating temperature. It only
occurs during accelerator pedal movement down (under load). The whining
diminishes during coasting or deceleration.

The differential is filled with Penrite 80W 90 mineral gear oil. (Recently
changed).

I am considering replacing my differential gear oil with Penrite SAE 140
mineral gear oil. (Note no 'W' prefix; it is straight SAE 140). This product
claims it will reduce differential noise in older vehicles. I wonder if it is
suitable for our Healeys?

I seem to recall reading on the List that our rear wheel bearings are splash
lubricated by differential oil, but cannot find any reference to that in my
workshop manual. Is that correct? I'm concerned that if that is the case, will
the SAE 140 be too viscous to splash lubricate the rear wheel bearings
effectively?

Would I be better of using a gear oil additive like Nulon G70 instead?

Any shared thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards, Graham Wilkie.
BJ8 Moruya NSW Australia.
Suggested annual donation  $12.75