[Healeys] Cam break in

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Mon Sep 23 07:41:32 MDT 2013

I've just reached a biy of a milestone myself, in that I fired up the
engine for the first time in six years, particularly to break in my
new cam. I was following the procedure of taking the engine to
2000rpm and keeping it there for twenty minutes (the rest of the
engine is already run in, long story)...but I developed a nasty
coolant leak and had to shut it down after about ten minutes.
I think I've sorted the leak, but I'm wondering now whether I should
start it up and do the remaining ten minutes.
The procedure described by Elgin cams can be hard to follow, because
after all that time, with newly rebuilt carbs, etc. it doesn't
exactly snap to 2000 rpm and stay there, there is a certain amount of
fettling required! Once this is done I'm relying on an oil change to
flush away the special cam break in lube.

Stephen, BJ8