[Healeys] Overdrive slipping

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Wed Oct 16 19:25:27 MDT 2013

Could be incipient failure of the accumulator O-ring seals. They might be
tight enough to engage properly when the oil is cold, but too loose to hold
pressure warm.

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 08:54:29 -0400
> From: sbyers at ec.rr.com
> To: ynotink at msn.com; healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: RE: [Healeys] Overdrive slipping
>
> Thanks, Bill -
>
> I don't suspect low hydraulic pressure because the O/D engages immediately
when I select it.  Other than the slipping under load, it is working fine.
But of course, a check of the pressure before tearing the O/D down would make
sense.
> I rebuilt the unit in 1993, with new accumulator, pistons, seals, bearings,
etc. and I have religiously kept the oil changed at least once a year (and
sometimes more, depending on the mileage).  I didn't do anything to the cone
clutch during the rebuild because it didn't need it then.

> The odometer recently turned over 110,000 miles since I've owned the car
(1984).  It had 51K when I bought it, but the odo wasn't working, so it might
have been significantly more.  I have had O/D selected during almost all of
those 110K miles.

> Steve Byers
> HBJ8L/36666
> BJ8 Registry
> Havelock, NC  USA
>

> ---- WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink at msn.com> wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > I think I would check the hydraulic pressure first. You might get
lucky...

> > Bill Lawrence
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:09:48 -0400
> > > From: sbyers at ec.rr.com
> > > To: healeys at autox.team.net
> > > Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive slipping
> > >
> > > Hello, Healeyphiles -
> > >
> > > I've begun feeling some slipping in the overdrive when I try to
accelerate in third gear with overdrive engaged -- i.e., the engine RPMs
increase but there is no acceleration.  I have also heard a "spinning" sound
from somewhere during slipping. It doesn't happen with overdrive disengaged or
if I accelerate gently.  I suspect the linings of the overdrive cone clutch
are worn.  Naturally, the clutch and its linings are N/A in the Moss catalog.

> > > Anybody have any different theories about the slippage?  Anybody know a
source for the clutch linings or rebuild of the cone clutch?