[Healeys] Overdrive slipping

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Oct 16 06:54:29 MDT 2013

Thanks, Bill -

I don't suspect low hydraulic pressure because the O/D engages immediately when I select it.  Other than the slipping under load, it is working fine.  But of course, a check of the pressure before tearing the O/D down would make sense.
I rebuilt the unit in 1993, with new accumulator, pistons, seals, bearings, etc. and I have religiously kept the oil changed at least once a year (and sometimes more, depending on the mileage).  I didn't do anything to the cone clutch during the rebuild because it didn't need it then.

The odometer recently turned over 110,000 miles since I've owned the car (1984).  It had 51K when I bought it, but the odo wasn't working, so it might have been significantly more.  I have had O/D selected during almost all of those 110K miles.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA