[Healeys] Overdrive slipping

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 17:09:48 MDT 2013

Hello, Healeyphiles -

I've begun feeling some slipping in the overdrive when I try to accelerate in third gear with overdrive engaged -- i.e., the engine RPMs increase but there is no acceleration.  I have also heard a "spinning" sound from somewhere during slipping. It doesn't happen with overdrive disengaged or if I accelerate gently.  I suspect the linings of the overdrive cone clutch are worn.  Naturally, the clutch and its linings are N/A in the Moss catalog.

Anybody have any different theories about the slippage?  Anybody know a source for the clutch linings or rebuild of the cone clutch?

Thanks,

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry