[Healeys] Camshaft/crank sprockets

Wilko2 e-wilkins at cox.net
Thu Nov 7 22:15:15 MST 2013

I just did this a couple of days ago.

Actually there are (should be on yours too) dimples on the two sprockets.

With the crank positioned with #1 at TDC the key will be almost straight up.
turn your cam to TDC at #1. NOTE: There are two possible orientations. lobes
at #1 should be almost pointing up. Lobes at #6 will be almost pointing down.
Key will be almost straight up.

The timing chain has two "bright links" the rest are dark grey/blued steel.
These will line up to the dimples on each gear. There is only one proper way
for this to happen leaving the keyways in the right position.

With the gears and chain together fit them over the crankshaft. You may need
to slightly rotate your cam until the keyways line up.

Here's a picture from a shop manual (my cover is already on)

http://ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/healey_timing.gif

Cheers,
Rick

On Nov 7, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Elton Schulz wrote:

> Fellow Listers,
> As a novice, I need some help. I'm reassembling my 3000 engine and I am
puzzled as how to align the camshaft sprocket with the crank. The workshop
manual says "set the crankshaft and camshaft with the keyways approx. at TDC
when seen from the front." I assume that means having the keyways on both
shafts pointing straight up. It seems to me that this is an imprecise way of
aligning both shafts. For example, there are no dimples on either of my
sprockets to align with each other like on an MG engine.