[Healeys] Wing mirrors

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon May 13 16:12:18 MDT 2013

Listers:  I am currently in the throes of trying to decide which mirrors to
use on my now back on the road BJ8.  I'm trying one of the clip-ons
mentioned by another lister while I try and decide where to drill holes in
my new paint job!  I don't think I like it - I have it clipped to the vent
window glass, which precludes the opening of that vent window.  It's also a
bit small, moves out of adjustment too easily, and is a bit too much in my
line of sight.

Some folks here are installing the 'Lucas wing mirror' on the doors.  On the
BJ7 - BJ8, it seems to work quite well - the outward 'crank' of the mirror
pedestal allows the mirror to clear the vent window in any open position,
and the tremendous adjustment available with that style of mirror head
allows the passenger side mirror (right side for me) to be completely
useful.  A convex mirror head can be easily installed if desired.  It's a
matter of personal opinion, but I think that they look quite proper
installed in the door position on the convertible Healey, whereas they look
somewhat odd on the sidescreen car (but do allow the use of the screens).  I
am leaning that way at this time.

Of course the downside of door mounting any mirror that secures from below -
especially for both convertible Healeys - is that the door panels have to
come off for installation and future maintenance.  Everyone that has ever
owned a BJ7 or BJ8 Healey knows what a fun job that always is!

I have 'bullet' mirrors installed on my BT7 - the leading edge of the mirror
is flush with the rear bonnet opening, and the right side mirror is
'cranked' ever so slightly on the body to allow the mirror head to be
adjusted to a useful position.

I can try and get photos of a BJ8 with Lucas wing mirrors mounted on the
doors if anyone is interested.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb