[Healeys] Wing mirrors

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon May 13 12:21:20 MDT 2013

Simon, the original style mirrors available from the factory were sort of
wedge-shaped (photo example attached).  I don't particularly like the way
they look since they sit high off the wing.  To me, they look more "Morris
Minor".  One advantage they have is that the support pivots on the base, so
that if the mirror is accidentally hit and moved out of position it can be
swung back in again without a lot of trial and error repositioning.

The round Lucas mirrors on the wing are one of the things that attracted me
to my BJ8 when I first saw it, because they looked "quaint" (compared to the
streamlined mirrors on cars now).  They are a real pain to keep in
alignment, especially if they sit out on the wings instead of on the doors.
I frequently brush against mine in the garage and have to reset them.

The bullet mirrors appear to be less vulnerable to inadvertent misalignment
than the Lucas type, but I still personally prefer the look of the Lucas
mirrors.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry