[Healeys] The 100 engine

Simon Griffin simon_grif at msn.com
Fri Jun 21 09:59:56 MDT 2013

My attention is turning back to the 100.   The MGB is now running to my
satisfaction and will provide summer driving fun, so I can now focus on my
real mistress!!

I am going to pull the engine and and clean it up and inspect it.  It has not
run for a very long time so I don't really know what horrors I will encounter.
So plan to strip down and rebuild the engine.  Anyway, what is the current
thinking on the head?

Mine is still the original Westlake cast iron, leaded fuel era.   Is it best
to work with this head and use fuel additives or convert over to the modern
unleaded head?  Of course if it turns out that my head is cracked and
un-useable the decision is somewhat made, but at least for now I am rather
conflicted.  On the one hand my heart says stay original, on the other, my
head says that perhaps now is the time to upgrade the engine.   I would really
appreciate some insight into this?

Thanks
Simon
Troy, IL