[Healeys] SU Carburettors (was: Pre-ignition)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 4 19:40:13 MDT 2013

Yup.  Our BN2 had mis-matched dampers, and the carb pistons wouldn't rise and fall in sync.  I managed to cobble two
with the same characteristics together from some spare carbs.

The small, brass 'pistons' on the end vary.  They function as check valves, allowing the pistons to fall quickly and
rise slower (upward movement closes the 'valves,' and downward movement opens them).  They are rather intricately cast
and/or machined--another testament to the sophistication and refinement of SU carbs.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net