[Healeys] Overdrive drain plug

George Castleberry leavcast at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:13:21 MDT 2013

These folks appear to have the tool.

http://www.originalduplicates.com/tools.html

George Castleberry
54 BN1
59 AN5
Flagstaff, AZ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Haskell
  To: healeyguy at aol.com
  Cc: healeys at autox.team.net
  Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive drain plug

  Perry,

  The part number for the service tool is 18G708 per BMC Service Tool
  Catalog published by Churchill in 1965.  It looks like a short socket
  (with the ears) mounted on a tube with a tommy bar on the other end.

  Rob Nortier sells one he manufactures on ebay, but I don't see one
  listed now (and don't remember his seller's name).

  Cheers,

  Bob Haskell
  AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
  http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

  On 07/31/2013 06:18 PM, healeyguy at aol.com wrote:
  > OK its time for a reality check. Unless you owned a BMC repair shop or
had
  > access to the factory service tool, which I have not found a part number
for
  > yet, most mechanics have used a drift and hammer to finalize the
tightening
  > process of the OD second type drain plug. True the tool is readily
available
  > now days if you really need a tool that you will use a few times during
your
  > ownership although the OD filter should be cleaned more often. You only
have
  > to tap a brass drift a couple times to snug the plug. If you have to beat
on
  > the plug to stop a leak, the fiber washer probably needs changed.
  > Sorry for the rant....
  > Aloha
  > Perry
  Suggested annual donation  $12.75