[Healeys] Emissions Compliance in New Jersey

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 25 18:21:30 MDT 2013

High HC and CO indicates a rich mixture.  As long as they aren't testing for oxides of nitrogen set your carbs as lean
as you can while still running smooth (if you're missing the HC will go through the roof).  You're close.

Also, change the oil, clean the plugs, check timing--in other words, do a tuneup--prior to the test.  It probably
couldn't hurt to throw in a bottle of the stuff advertised to help pass smog.

I used to manage to get my BJ8 through CA emissions--with a bit of fiddling--before they ended the requirement for cars
older than 1968.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net