[Healeys] Where to put my mirrors.

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jul 1 04:42:48 MDT 2013

Patrick, the location of the mirrors wasn't a legal requirement in the USA, nor was it a requirement for wing mirrors at all.  The wing mirrors on U.S. Healeys are found centered over the front wheelwells; over the rear of the wheel arches; over the front, center, and rear of the spears/flashes; and anywhere from there to the rear edge of the fenders or on the doors.  Most such mirrors were originally installed by the car dealers who sold them, and if the position wasn't specified by the owner the mirrors were probably located where it was most convenient to access the attachment nuts:  over the wheelwells.

BTW:  BMIHT data indicates that factory wing mirrors were an option on BJ8s and when installed they were almost always accompanied by the optional luggage rack.  That suggests the factory considered the mirrors necessary only when there was the additional visual obstruction of a load on the luggage rack.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA