[Healeys] radiator caps

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 19:53:12 MST 2013

The recent discussion of radiator caps & thermostats got me curious about the
difference between a 7 Lb. cap & a 10 Lb. cap.
As everyone knows pure water at sea level boils at 212 degrees F.
A 7 Lb. cap raises the boiling point to Approx. 230 degrees F.
A 10 Lb. cap raises the boiling point to 239 degrees F.
By adding anti-freeze to the water further raises the boiling point. But I'll
let you do that research to determine how much. However, adding anti-freeze
also decreases the efficiency of the heat transfer. So if overheating
(depending on what you mean by that) is your issue, you might want to run a
lower % of anti-freeze. You only need perhaps 10% for corrosion protection &
water pump lube during above freezing conditions.
Gary Hodson