[Healeys] 2 weber 45 questions

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sun Dec 29 05:43:49 MST 2013

A huge amount of research, questioning and resultant confusion has yielded
me a few certainties. And a lot of confusion which I happily share with you,
below....
Forget chokes....they are interchangeable within carbs of the same size as
are most of the other parts...jets, springs etc.
The only thing that seems to really put the cat among the pigeons is this
business of "progression holes". Weber installations seem to tend towards a
built in flat spot as the accelerator pushes the carb from its choke inlets
to its main flow. How and where and when this dreaded flat spot occurs is
dependent on one's type of engine (twin cam?) or one's camshaft &/or
ignition. People (often apparently with the wrong carbs in the wrong car)
seem to cure the flatspot by opening up one of the settings - I forget which
- and thus overcoming the issue with a flood of petrol. The "progression
holes", which each allow in a small amount of extra fuel, are exposed and
come into effect "progressively" (Geddit now?) as the carbs' butterflies
open. This fuel, allowed in by one, then two, then three etcetc holes, cures
the flatspot. Some peoples' triple Webers seem to yield a perfectly sensible
mpg whilst others' are pretty horrific. It's my guess that a lot of this
results from the having to overcome the flatspot area with buckets of fuel.
So, a 9 will have different holes from a 13. (Bigger, smaller, more or
less...I'm not sure). You can make all the interchangeable variable parts
inside the same, but if one of yr carbs has different holes from yr other
carbs, you're in trouble.
Vehicle manufacturers got together with Weber and chose the right carbs for
their vehicles' specs. Some of the newer 45s appear to have been just plain
wrong in the cars into which they were sold by tuners/the aftermarket. Weber
45 152s when put into Alphas and, I suppose, hot VWs had a massive flatspot
problem. (A twincam issue here). People drilled in "progression holes" until
- surprise - Weber came up with the 45 152G which had the factory's
progression holes drilled per the amateur tuners' drilling efforts etcetc.
The "G" apparently stands for "German"!?!
Enough. I'm still without any Webers but am leaning, no pun intended,
towards 9s.
Happy New Year
Simon