[Healeys] Webers, dellortos

Wilko2 e-wilkins at cox.net
Sat Dec 14 14:22:39 MST 2013

That sounds like a lot of fun, and a real racing car. Mine's a BN6 and I'm
building the 3000 engine.

What I'm theorizing is that for all around road use that I will get great
results in the driveability and still maintain good top end performance with
my setup using the 40DCOE  with 32mm chokes instead of the 45s with bigger
chokes. As with the same issue using the 12 port head on the stock 100 Six
engine (2.6 liters) there isn't enough gas velocity to get low speed torque or
horsepower with the bigger carbs and ports. The problem of coughing seemed to
go away with the 3000 (according to Geoffrey Healey and others). Weber
recommends (and many cars like the Alphas, ferrarris and such do quite well
with) a 40DCOE/32 chokes on 500cc chambers as a good benchmark--why should a
Healey need 45/35 for the same chamber? Sure that would be great for top end
breathing, but for normal driving the added velocity of the smaller chokes
should give the progression circuit a much needed boost.

I'm thinking that all (most) of the complaining of the Webers being too much
for the car and you lose street performance with them should go away with the
smaller carb.

Can you tell I really want to have that Weber "mojo" in my car?

I don't yet know what my actual compression ratio will be be as my head was
planed lightly (I don't remember how much) but my chambers were softened
around the sharp edges. I've never CC'd them but do expect a slight rise in
compression.

Other mods that I have that will affect performance are the ProRace balancer,
alloy back plate, Bill Bolton lightened flywheel, Toyota Trans kit, spin-on
oil filter, and Monza exhaust.

On Dec 14, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Derek Job wrote:

> Rick
>
> My car is a 100-Six but it has a BJ8 engine. When I bought the car it
already had a lot of nice goodies on it, including: