[Healeys] Webers, dellortos

Wilko2 e-wilkins at cox.net
Sat Dec 14 11:32:14 MST 2013

Great post Derek.

I've been reading and compiling anecdotal evidence for years and though I
haven't yet run my car I have a hypothesis that I'd sure like to prove once I
finally get around to running my car.

ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/healey_webers.jpg

That is very specific info on your carbs.

How is the rest of your engine? Overbored? Compression? Valves? Cam? Exhaust?

I'm still working a few hours a year for the last 15 years on my build.

Bored .030 over.
Schneider 2860 grind cam. (.425 lift, 260 degrees)
stock or works style tubular exhaust.
Australian style Redline short intake manifold like Chris Dimmock's
stock sized valves.
Polished mildly ported head

Are you just racing yours and how does it act around town?

Thanks,
Rick

On Dec 14, 2013, at 2:10 AM, Derek Job wrote:

> Simon
>
> The truth is that you really only need Webers for racing or competitionbut
so
> whatthey look fantasticso why not.
>
> I'm sure Kees will tell you to get Dellortos and he may be right, but
Webers
> are what everybody goes for.
>
> The most common set up is using 45 DCOE's with 36mm chokes. Mine use the
> following
>
> Choke 36mm
>
> Aux venturi  4.5
>
> Main jet 145
>
> air corrector 155
>
> emmulsion tubes f16
>
> Idle jet 55 f6
>
> needle valve 200
>
> pump jet  45
>
> pump spill 40
>

> Most of those came standard with the carbs out of the box, although a
couple
> of items were changed during the rolling road set up, the idle jet for one.
> Setting up on a rolling road is essential but once they are properly set
up,
> you forget them.
> If they are spitting they are not correctly set. (They might spit a bit on
> start up when cold)
>
> You will also need to  budget for body work modifications. You have to cut
> away the diagonal side brace, contrary to popular myth you do not need to
cut
> out a piece of the shroud to change jets etc, although it does improve
access
> to the stacks and whatever filters you put on.
>
> You will have to decide on a set of intake manifolds. You can get them from
> the usual suspects. Obviously Welch ones are popular and claim to be
virtually
> identical to the ones used on the last works rally cars, although slightly
> shorter so they don't need to have support towers. AH Spares might be worth
> look as they have been developing their performance parts in conjunction
with
> Anders Schildt. Or rather its Anders Schildt who has been developing them.
The