[Healeys] Points vs electronic ignition

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 02:34:55 MST 2013

My recommendation is, .if you want electronic ignition.buy a Mazda.

Surely the maintenance of the points set up is part of the fun of owning a
classic car. Its hardly rocket science and a set of points costs about #2.50
and lasts 3000 miles or more. Whats the problem? Properly set up the
difference to electronic ignition is not noticeable, especially given the fact
that most people are just pootling around at 50 or 60 mph for a couple of
thousand miles a year. Meanwhile Healeys are being thrashed around Le Mans and
the Spa 6 hours, using points.

Come on guysstick to the way classics are supposed to be. I wonder if anyone
has ever fitted electronic ignition on a Model T?

Derek

On 14 Dec 2013, at 00:15, Earl Kagna <kags at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Mitch - lots of interesting replies!
>
> My experience:  I've run electronic ignitions on both Healey for many years
- a Repco - which became Allison, which became Crane on my BJ8, approx. 120K
miles until it was taken off the road for restoration.  I've had a Pertronix
on the tri-carb for 18 years - 46K miles since installation. I've never had a
problem with either one.

> The BJ8 is back on the road with a 123 ignition installed.  It's built into
a Lucas distributor - for looks only  - it functions the same as the normal
123.  The Pertronix (and some others) replace the 'switching' function only,
replacing the points and condenser, with the weights and springs in the
distributor still functioning to provide the mechanical advance.  It's
important to recognise that the mechanical part of the distributor is usually
worn on these old beasts, and should be repaired to correct specs regardless
of whether points or Pertronx (and others like it).

> The 123 is fully electronic, replacing points, condenser, weights and
springs.  It uses the vacuum advance function by supplying the necessary
vacuum to a vacuum sensitive microchip on the circuit board - pretty
sophisticated for our old cars!  But it sure works well!  It's early days yet
for me - only about 2K miles on the 123, but I really like it so far.

> No-one has mentioned a couple of other things about using an electronic
ignition:  they tend to damp out 'wobble' from wear in the distributor - there
will be less timing fluctuation without a rubbing block on the dist. cam.  The
triggering slots or magnets being well outboard compared to points helps here
as well.  Also, it's my finding that points don't do as well on our old
seasonally driven cars as they did when the cars were daily drivers. The
points tend to deteriorate / coat / corrode faster when the car sits for a few
months, especially in damp climates.  The maintenance factor alone is enough
for me.

> With the electronics, I've always kept the parts that were removed from the
distributor in a baggie in the car in order to be able to make a roadside
repair in case of an electronic failure.  I'm convinced that having the bits
necessary to get me running again just might help to keep the electronic
'Leprechauns' away.  I plan on carrying a complete known good spare
distributor with points installed, and a wired spare cap, along with at least
a couple of rotors, in the BJ8 in order to convince the 123 to not fail.

> I also use electronic fuel pumps in both cars for similar reasons - they are
diaphragm pumps and click satisfactorily, just like the originals.

> It's worth noting that if you are considering switching the car to NEG
ground, the time to do that (if not already done) would be before ordering any
electronic bits.