[Healeys] Heat shield

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 13 16:28:14 MST 2013

Keith:

I own a very original top-shift tri-carb - '62.  The spacer - called the
'distance piece' in the parts manual should be installed between the carb
and the heat shield.  The spacer acts as a heat insulating piece (of sorts)
for the carbs.  So  -- from the intake manifold out, the 'stack' should be:
gasket - heatshield - gasket - spacer - gasket carb.  3 gaskets per carb for
a total of 9, before the air cleaner is installed.  You are right - the
manual is a little ambiguous on that page.

On the left hand drive cars, there is very little clearance between the
bottom of the jet on the rear carb and the steering column.  An extra
spacer, or one that is thicker than the original will almost always cause
problems there, even with normal engine movement.

I've attached a photo for you (and Gary), which I know the list will strip.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb