[Healeys] Healey Noise?????

Rich rich_holman at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 08:27:42 MDT 2013

Need some help with a noise from the rear axle area (57BN4).  Went out for a
drive and after about 30 miles the noise began.  I originally thought it might
be a broken brake shoe spring that had fallen onto the drum, nope.  I can't
tell if it a scrape or grind.   It has kinda a scrape with a click like
something in a fan.  The noise increases when I let off the gas and coast.
 The noise is the same in neutral coasting down hill (forward and reverse).
This winter I did remove the right axle and changed the O-ring and paper seal
(had a minor leak after 55 years).  I gently reinserted the axle without
problems.

I could really entertain some ideas, as I am a long way from Healey
knowledge.

I used my Iphone to record the noise.  Here are two short
recordings:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1l8tucg947axsxn/hXbLPumUA-

Any and
all help welcome.