[Healeys] Registry

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Apr 15 11:38:48 MDT 2013

Healeydata does a very good job and is an excellent source for information
on the cars themselves.  I wish I had more time to visit that site more
often, but there are also just too many other good sources that I can't
check them all frequently enough (e.g., eBay, eBay UK, Hemmings, AHCA,
dealer websites, and others) and still have a life.  I have tried.  But as
the healeydata.com site explains, it makes no guarantee that the data there
is correct.  Anyone can input the information, including someone who just
bought a car with scrambled identities or someone who just entered a bunch
of typos or made something up.  Healeydata will not tell them there is a
problem with the numbers entered, nor will it notify someone that the car
stolen from them 42 years ago has just turned up on eBay, as the BJ8
registry did last year.

I can't speak for the other model registries, but the BJ8 registry actively
uses the data provided to help owners with questions or problems with their
own cars.  Neither healeydata nor any other "registry" sites will do that,
to my knowledge.  By the way, the BJ8 registry just entered its 8000th car
this morning.  Healeydata says it has information on 1,886 Healeys (not just
BJ8s).

My fantasy is that every BJ8 owner in the world will automatically feed me
the information about their car (http://www.britishcarforum.com/bj8quest)
when they buy it and when they sell it, or when they go to a car show and
see one.  I will be the operator of the BJ8 clearinghouse -- documenting the
details, using them to develop statistics that help us learn more about how
the cars were originally manufactured, and how they are configured and
distributed around the world today, answering all questions put to me,
helping to solve all problems that I can.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA