[Healeys] 1953 Riley RMF

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 15:49:37 MDT 2013

Listers,

The link below is from the restoration of a 1953 Riley RMF done in about
two years by friend and fellow American Airline pilot Eric Welty of Argyle,
Texas.

I meet Eric when he sent me his control head to restore about a year ago,
and after several minutes discussing the project over the phone we realized
that we were both pilots for American.  Anyway I've been to Texas twice now
to see the car and it's nothing less than stunning.  Eric's woodworking
skills alone are first rate, as is his paint and body work, which he did
himself.

Funny but as much as I'm in awe of his work, Eric was baffled by the
control head and restoring his was a lot of fun, albeit a challenge as the
DPO had buggered it up royally.  Initially Eric painted the Bakelite black
but after some convincing I stripped it back and restored the original
brown Bakelite back to its former glory.

Enjoy the restoration slide show and the accompanying music.

http://photopeach.com/album/hgtiv1

BTW Eric's shop/garage, some of which you can see in the slides, is a
second building on his property, all brick and a restorers dream.  Eric has
it decorated with old gas pumps, signs and other memorabilia, all of which
he's restored.  He's also restored an nice BJ8.

Cheers,

Curt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5:{)